A little bit about turmeric:
- A relative of ginger, this bright yellow spice has anti-inflammatory agents
- It is an antioxidant which helps to rid your body of free radicals (a.k.a. toxic molecules that we don't want)
- Lowers the risk of heart disease
Ingredients: (serves 1)
1 cup oats
2 tbsp shredded coconut
1 cup almond milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp honey (or agave/maple syrup for a vegan version)
2 tbsp dried cranberries (to garnish)
2 tbsp toasted coconut (to garnish)
1) Begin by pouring the milk, water, turmeric and cinnamon into a pot and bring to a simmer.
2) Add the oats and 2 tbsp coconut and mix well. Turn heat to low and continue to cook for about 4 mins until the oats have absorbed most of the liquid. (I like to leave my oatmeal a bit wet so I don't allow all of the liquid to absorb).
3) Stir in honey.
4) Pour into a bowl and top with cranberries and toasted coconut. Feel free to add any garnishes you like! Chopped nuts and seeds would be a great addition.