Start by cooking some onions and garlic in a pot and add lots of spices and seasoning to the pot to create a fantastic flavour base. From there you can add your water and quinoa and cook it in a seasoned broth. Not only is this one of the best ways to add flavour but it's also a 1 pot meal! I like to saute vegetables until they are nice and brown before adding the water and quinoa to the pot.
You can of course eat this on its own, or do what I did, and stuff it in a ripe avocado, topped with alfalfa sprouts. A perfect little meal!
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 white onion, diced
3 gloves garlic, minced
2 cobs corn
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper
1) In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until browned and softened. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
2) Cut corn kernels off of the cob and add to the pot and continue to saute until kernels are browned.
3) Add cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to the pot and toast spices for 1 minute in the pan. The spices will become aromatic as you toast them.
4) Add 3 cups of water to the pot and bring to a boil. Add quinoa, stir, bring to a boil again, then turn the heat down to low, cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
5) When all of the water is absorbed, stir well and season with salt and pepper if needed