These lemon chia oat bars are zesty and lemony, filled with chia seeds and pumpkin seeds and contain no refined sugar. I make a batch of these every couple of weeks and freeze individual bars and pull them out when I need them. They thaw out within about 15-20 minutes and are perfect to grab on the go. This recipe is really versatile, so you can add different nuts, seeds, or dried fruit depending on your taste.
The original recipe was from Oh She Glows, but I have made quite a few changes to the recipe below based on some of my kitchen staples.
3/4 cups lemon juice
5 tbsp chia seeds
3 cups oats, ground into a course flour
1 1/2 cups oats
2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
zest of 2 lemons
1 1/2 cups pureed bananas (about 5-6 bananas)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1) Heat your oven to 350 degrees C.
2) Start by mixing chia seeds and lemon juice in a bowl and setting aside. Let this sit while you prepare the other ingredients.
3) In a large bowl, add ground oats, whole oats, shredded coconut, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Stir to combine.
4) In a food processor, puree bananas until liquid. Add olive oil and honey and continue to pulse until combined.
Pour wet mixture over dry mixture and combine well using a spatula or wooden spoon, making sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl to mix all of the dry ingredients with the wet. Don't worry if it is still a bit dry, you'll be adding more liquid when you add the lemon juice.
5) Add the lemon chia mixture, raisins, and pumpkin seeds and mix well to combine.
6) Lay a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet and spread mixture onto baking sheet using your hands until it is even. It can be a little messy, so wet your hands with water when you press it down and spread it out. Depending on the size of your pan or baking dish, you may not need to spread it all the way out to the edges of the pan. Simply spread it out as far as you need to so that you have the desired thickness you want.
7) Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top.
8) Once it is cooled down, slice into squares or rectangles and enjoy!
To make these last longer, wrap them in saran wrap and place them in the freezer.