2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch piece ginger, minced
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
Approx 5 cups vegetable broth/water (enough to cover vegetables with 2 inches liquid)
1 tsp white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
1) In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until lightly browned and softened. Add garlic and ginger and continue to cook for another minute.
2) Add sweet potato and squash chunks and cook for 5 minutes to lightly brown.
3) Stir in cumin and toast spices for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
4) Add broth, bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to medium-low and allow to simmer for about 20-30 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked through.
5) When vegetables are soft, puree using either a blender or a hand food processor. Puree until smooth. If it is too thick, thin out your soup with a bit of water until you get the right consistency.
6) Stir in white wine vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
Pour into a bowl and garnish with sprouts.