This is a super quick dinner to make on a busy night and will please the whole family. Serve it with a side of rice for your hearty grain serving for the day.
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 red onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 inch piece ginger, finely chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
1 red pepper, chopped
1 mini eggplant, cubed
1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp garam masala
400ml can whole tomatoes, unseasoned
400ml can light coconut milk
1 red chili, finely diced
Handful cilantro, chopped
1 green onion stalk, sliced
Salt and pepper
1) Heat a large pan over medium heat and add 2 tbsp olive oil.
2) Add red onions and saute for 2-3 minutes.
3) Add garlic and ginger and continue to saute for another minute.
4) Add sweet potatoes, peppers, and eggplant and cook for about 5 minutes to soften. Add a bit of water or oil to the pan if it is too dry.
5) Add cumin, garam masala, salt and pepper. Stir well and continue cook for 1 minute to toast the spices.
6) Add the can of whole tomatoes and coconut milk and stir well. Use a spoon to crush the tomatoes and stir well. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until sweet potato is cooked through and softened.
7) Add lime juice, chili, and chopped cilantro and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve with extra cilantro and sliced green onions.