Us oatmeal fanatics know that it is anything but bland and grey!! It is a blank canvas for any ingredients and flavours that you like. For breakfast you can add fruits, nuts, seeds, nut butters, honey, maple syrup, sugar – whatever floats your boat. For a more savoury meal (think shrimp and grits but sub out the grits for oatmeal), you can add seasonings and spices to your oatmeal like tamari sauce and chili powder, and top it with a poached egg and sliced green onions.
It’s time to expand your view of oatmeal!
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil
- Add 1 cup of oats and a pinch of salt
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook until water is absorbed (about five minutes), stirring occasionally
Note: avoid instant oats and opt for steel cut or whole grain oats instead
SWEET ADD-ON OPTIONS
- Add cinnamon and nutmeg when you are adding the oats to the pot
- When oats are cooked, stir in honey or maple syrup
- When oats are cooked, stir in 1 tbsp of your favourite nut/seed butter
- Swap half of the water for your choice of milk for a creamier oatmeal
- Top with chopped fruits and nuts
SAVOURY ADD-ON OPTIONS
- When oats are cooked, stir in grated cheese (cheddar cheese or parmesan would be amazing!)
- Add chili powder, cumin and paprika when you are adding the oats to the pot
- In a small pan, saute onions, garlic, thyme and mushrooms and stir into your cooked oatmeal
- Top with a fried egg or soft poached egg and garnish with sliced green onions
- Top with avocado slices and a healthy drizzle of hot sauce
Creamy Fruit Breakfast Bowl:
1 cup water
1 cup almond milk
1 cup steel cut oats
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp honey
1/2 peach, sliced
Handful of strawberries, sliced
1 tbsp toasted shredded coconut
Bring water and almond milk to a boil. Add oats, salt and cinnamon and turn the heat down to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally until liquid is almost completely absorbed. I like to leave my oatmeal a bit wet so I remove it from the heat when there is still some liquid in the pot.
Stir in honey and top with peaches, strawberries and coconut.
Savoury Fried Egg Oatmeal
2 cups water
1 cup steel cut oats
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp sesame oil
¼ red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
1 stalk green onion, thinly sliced
Bring water to a boil. Add oats and salt, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until water is absorbed.
In a small sauce pan, heat sesame oil. Add red onion and sauté for about 2 minutes to lightly brown. Add garlic and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook until softened and brown. Stir this mixture into the cooked oatmeal.
Using the same pan, fry the egg. Top the oatmeal with the pan fried egg and garnish with sliced green onions.